Skip to main content

Hi all,

Appreciate if you can share your success story by upgrading your K2 from 4.7 to K2 5.x.

After doing reading and researching for some while, i have no confident to propose to my management for the upgrade as cost incured. (Need to upgrade my K2 4.7 blackpearl windows server and Database server's windows & sql server version)

And this year is the EOL of K2 4.7. Hopefully you can share your experience with me.

Thank you.

I understand your concerns, as in the past I have encountered many issues with upgrades to the SmartForms product in the past. However, I have found the upgrade from 4.7 to 5.x to be the most seamless of all the upgrades I've done in previously. The only issues I have experienced is having to tweak my custom themes to account for changes in the K2 core theme - custom controls continued to work as expected, workflow behavior did not change and form rules did not have to be modified as long as they were accurrate in the first place (before you upgrade, use the K2 Package and Deployment wizard to build a package containing ALL of your forms and views, do make sure they are all clean).

I am just one voice out here, but I've upgraded five clients so far with very good success - I'm happy with the upgrade path to K2 5.x

Hi  @tbyrne777,

Thank you for your sharing.  As my sql server is runing on Windows server 2008 R2 and SQL 2012 SP1., my K2 blackpearl server is runing on Windows server 2012 R2.

My challenge is to upgrade both server environment and upgrade K2 4.7 to K2 5.x.

As there is many workflow application that i had deployed running 24/7 and integrate with SAP by K2 connect.

I have no idea how to plan for this upgrade.

Thank you.

That does sound like a big challenge - I definitely wouldn't try to upgrade all of those things at once - I'd start with the SQL server upgrade, let that settle in for a week or two then do the K2 server windows upgrade and let that settle and THEN do the K2 upgrade.

Alternatively, if you have the licenses to do so, stand up brand new SQL Server and Windows Server on the latest versions and install K2 4.7 there. Then create a package of your K2 solution from your old servers, shut them down and deploy to your new server. Everything should be working as before, but on the new operating systems. then, after that settles in for a week or two, upgrade to K2 5.3.

Hi,

My plan is to upgrade database server windows server from 2008 r2 to 2016 and from sql server 2012 sp1 to sql 2016.

This mean i have to upgrade stage by stage.

And then my k2 application server from windows server 2012 r2 to 2016.

The alternative propose below is a brilliant idea.

But i am sure k2 will not provide the license key just for me to upgrade their product.

Thank you.

"But i am sure k2 will not provide the license key just for me to upgrade their product."

As long as your license is current you should be able to obtain a license key after the upgrade.  You might want to talk to your customer account manager to discuss your situation.

Hi , Ive just upgraded from K2 4.7 -> K2 5 (three environments DEV , UAT , PRD )  environment topology K2 server - SQL Server - Sharepoint 365  .

The upgrade was pretty seemless we have 1 or 2 low level tickets open with K2 which they are helping us, all tickets are minor issues .

so what did we do

1. get your K2 5 licence

2.  Test your backup and restore :- back up you SQL and take an image of your K2 4.7 server's and practice your roll back strategy in your dev environemnt .

3. Perform the install , make sure your install user accounts have the required permissions detailed in the K2 guide

4. Follow the upgrade 4.7 -> 5 documentation in the K2 5 install guide

5. Apply the latest patch 21 i think and your good to go

following install

1. Update your client tools so tat you can still manage your legacy workflows

2. start enjoying the new slick K2 5 tooling

issues we have encountered were ,

1. K2 view flow in the new management site pointing to the wrong url

2. Error sorting by start date , end date only working on page being viewed

3.Upgrade Permissions to add and remove users to the package and deploy role not granted

apart from the above the experiance was smooth an straight forward