Skip to main content

Currently, we are on 4.7 and SharePoint 2013. We are planning to go to K2 5.1.

Can we have some SharePoint site collections using App 4.7 and some using 5.1?

I heard that workflow will migrate and will continue to run but we will not be able to modify them in 5.1 tools. We will have to redevelop them in 5.1 at some point of time.

We have 3-4 really complex solutions and they are heavily used. And we will not be able to redevelop them with the upgrade project. We will have to run and support 4.7 version for quite some time. They are in different site collections. Will we be able to leave them in App 4.7 and continue to modify in 4.7 tools?

Or 5.1 and 4.7 can coexist on the same site collection?

Hi K2 Beginner,

The K2 5.1 Application will have to be used across the environment. Runtime sites on 4.7 will continue to work, however, you will not be able to modify them unless the Registration Wizard is re-run on K2 4.7, then you won't be able to modify K2 5.1 until you re-run the K2 5.1 Registration Wizard again.

The Workflow Designer (Silverlight = Legacy) will still be supported after the upgrade, and you can continue to develop on K2 5.1 using this "legacy" for the time being.

Recommendation

OnPrem environment: Create a new Web Application with its own App Catalog and split them up completely to avoid any issues or frustrations.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your detailed explanation!

No problem at all.

Should you feel that this post provided useful information andor an accurate solution to the raised question, I kindly encourage you to mark it as such by using the 'Mark as Solution', 'Kudo' andor ‘Me Too’ options.

I have a similar question, except my environment is a little different. We have three non production servers (dev/test/QA) that point to the same on premise development SharePoint farm. Currently, all three servers have K2 Five installed. I am about to upgrade the dev server to K2 5.2. From what I have read so far, I do not have to run the App Deployment on the SharePoint app server but I do need to re-register my K2 server. After I register the dev server, what state will the test and QA solutions be in? Will I still be able to modify apps or will I need to toggle registration, as you describe in this post, or can each site collection function with K2 server with different versions?

Hi Davbro,

You should just be able to run the registration wizard, and everything should work as expected.