Skip to main content

(Caution Newbie!!)

We are making changes to a SmartForm. We are adding a new DropDownList control that is bound to a smartobject and are modifying our workflow (adding an activity/ step) which uses that new DropDownList.

Q:  if we introduce this new form into production, will existing instances of the workflow break, when the form gets loaded?

If the older workflow does not reference (or execute any logic) based on the data gathered from the new DropDown control, is it likely to succeed?

What's the proper way to test this scenario?  

Any suggestions are appreciated!

-tomas

Hi TomasV,

Even after you change the workflow and deploy a new version, the old instances will still refer the old  version of the workflow and run without any error.

But when you are changing the smartform which interacts with workflow now we need to consider 2 things here.

1. if the smartform is used to start the workflow , then there should not be any issue with the changes as it refers new workflow version

2. When you are using smartform to perform an action/worklistitem, then there is a chance of the form getting break as the instances of old workflow version will not have the data that you have included in new workflow version, so this scenario needs to be handled.

REgards,

Vijay.

Thank you for the clarification!!

This re-inforces my suspicions.

-tomas

tomasv,

I think I know what you are refering to. When you make a change you will need to go to each rule that calls the workflow. Both on initialize and on click. Then remap the serial number and the item reference. If the new column does not show up in the workflow you will need to refresh the smartobject. I have found the process to refresh the smartobject is to copy the guid of the current smartobject then rebuild the smartobject using the current guid. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Bryan Peters