Tab index initial focus in IE11

• 26 September 2017
  • 2 replies

We have a form with 2 views.  First view is just a header, second contains 10+ text boxes that get populated by user input.  We would like the tab index to start on one text box.

In the Form, I've set the 1st view to a tab index of "none," the 2nd view to be tab index of 1.  On the second view I've set the proper txt box to tab index of 1.

In IE11 the inital focus of the cursor always starts at the address bar, and continues to go through the browsers contol sections (address bar, tabs, command bar, Favorites bar, etc,) before then dropping down into the form / views.  Once the curor is tabbed though the browsers controls it does properly go to text box specified above.  This takes 6 tab presses.

In Chrome 60.0.x the focus start in an unknown location but only takes one tab click to get to the proper text box.  

is there another rule that can be set to force the browser to set the inital focus on the proper form / view text box rather than the browsers own contols?  

Thanks !

2 replies

We have a form with 2 views.  First view is just a header, second contains 10+ text boxes that get populated by user input.  We would like the tab index to start on one text box.

In the Form, I've set the 1st view to a tab index of "none," the 2nd view to be tab index of 1.  On the second view I've set the proper txt box to tab index of 1.

In IE11 the inital focus of the cursor always starts at the address bar, and continues to go through the browsers contol sections (address bar, tabs, command bar, Favorites bar, etc,) before then dropping down into the form / views.  Once the curor is tabbed though the browsers controls it does properly go to text box specified above.  This takes 6 tab presses.

In Chrome 60.0.x the focus start in an unknown location but only takes one tab click to get to the proper text box.  

is there another rule that can be set to force the browser to set the inital focus on the proper form / view text box rather than the browsers own contols?  

Thanks !

Userlevel 5
Badge +18

Perhaps usage of custom javascript inject.

1.   Use F12 Developer tool and get the ID for the TextBox Control

* this ID will likely not change, unless the control is deleted and recreated 

2.  Add a data label control on your form, mark the "Literal" option and add an expression

3.  Modify the script below with the ID of your control and create the expression

<script>window.onload = function() { document.getElementById("69fdeb32-e033-a66b-ba5f-f5e78df06746_15674aef-5771-3469-5ffb-3f1d035e6c11").focus();};</script>

4.  On form load, focus should be set on the control of the ID specified. 

* There maybe other Javascript code/implementation that may accomplish this same requirement