SaveAsPDF Control takes a long time!

• 11 January 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

The save as pdf control is taking between 30 and 60 seconds to complete. 

Is this normal? 

If not, what can I do about it? 

I've built a very basic test form with 3 labels  a button and the SaveAsPDF takes over 30 seconds to cmoplete. 

Thanks in advance

Craig

3 replies

Badge +7

I have not used the form control for SavePDF much but you can actually use the method to "Save PDF Asynch" which means the form won't stop doing what it needs to do. If you use these methods in a workflow you control this timing but you have to let the form have a chance to load completely and you cant go higher than 60 seconds.

Usually the time to save the PDF is not what is the problem it is the time to render the form. I remember there is soemthing in the k2hostserver.exe.config for PDF converter timeout but you really need to get with support. I had to change this when it was timeing out.

that defaults this wait time but I cannot

Mine is

key=" Sourcecode.SmartObjects.Services.PDFConverter.NavigationTimeout" value="120" />

I dont know if this helps.

Badge +2

Hi MickiC, 

Thank you for taking the time to reply. 

Curiously the form renders in less than a second. I have tried the SaveAsPDF Async, and while it returns control to the user. The PDF creation occurs at the end of a form submission at which point the user would normally close the browser or browse away, effectively killing the pdf save. 

I'll raise a ticket with support and update this thread with the results, 

Regards

Craig

Badge +7

What do you do with the PDF when it is produced do you open it or email it to the user?

I know there is a delay in the function to allow the form to load so no matter how big your form is the delay will happen. Support may be able to answer how to shorten the delay but I would be very careful as you may use this funtion elsewhwere and need the 30 seconds.

A few ideas

1) You are creating the PDF at the end of submit, try to move it up and create it before the data save, workflow submit etc.

2) I know it might be painful but put a message at the end of the submit and OK button and dont let the users close the form until it is done.

3) Have a workflow create the pdf. It means you will have to create the rules so you can pull the form up with data but you may already be doing this for a workflow. This method can happen after the user closes the form so they are not as bothered by it.

These are just some ideas while you are waiting for support.