Pictures in Smartform Email?

• 16 June 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi all,

Is it possible to include LOGOs, pictures in Emails sent from K2?

At the moment I use a combination of Smartforms Email EVENTS via the form, and all EMail via Workflows.

I would like to make the emails a bit more professional/corporate looking.

I can format the Smartforms?workflow emails using HTML to a certain degree, but i want to include logos/header/footers in the email body.

Is this possible? And if it is, would this interfere with Approval requests, whereby the Authorisers replies with approve/decline (off line approval via email)

Thanks, interested to know if this is possible?

5 replies

Badge +15

Hi,

You can try the solution here to embed image into your emails. The embedded image should not affect your SmartActions, as long as your user's reply is on the first line of the email.

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Thanks for the link, it looks complicated.

Anyone done this and able to provide a step by step to use an embedded image from the Images that we upload into the Picture Control library?

Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi all,

Just wanted to close this thread and give you all an answer to what the situation is with this.

1) I tried this with K2 support and we had limited success. Using the Base64 method of converting the pics to text and then pasting it into emails etc, the picture would appear in Web Mail, but not in Outlook Client. -This was further complicated by the size of the picture jpeg/png. If the picture is large, like a banner, then the picture won't render at all.

2) This ticket is now linked to a feature request with K2 for embedding images in Smartform Email Action Rules. In all honesty, the entire email sending action is prehistoric and has the basic of basic features. K2 need to add font styling and attachments/embedding into the Email Actions (at both Smartform and Workflow level), lets hope they listen.

3) Formatting emails is only possible with HTML and even that is horrible, K2 fights with HTML over control of your formatting, and simple things like line breaks can be rather tricky, You just have to be persistant.

4) In our case, my solution was to use a Corporate Email template and add my K2 controls/text within it. Copy and pasting HTML into K2 email action messes up the formatting, pressing enter within the HTML while editing the K2 email removes formatting and previews it...... Just have several cans of Redbull ready to keep you focused :-)

To K2, please add the following features to the K2 email actions :

Smartforms Email:

a) Font formatting

b) Attachments

c) Embedding of pictures

d) Better handling of HTML formatting when cutting and pasting

Workflow Emails

a) Embedding of pictures

b) Better handling of HTML formatting when cutting and pasting

Thanks

Badge +8

I found your comments sadly entertaining.  Has there been any advancements in HTML formatting within email since you posted this?

Do you have screen shots of your solution, or steps, etc?

Userlevel 3
Badge +16

Hi,

As far as I know, there hasn't been any advances.

The way i did it, was using a corporate email template which contains a border and Header image (image is linked via a URL link) and Footer styled and formatted.

The easy thing was inserting my data fields, the hard thing was getting Outlook to display it correctly.

It's a bit like the Rocky 1, Balboa (is K2) and Apollo is (HTML)... K2 goes the distance, but HTML wins overall in the styling/formatting rounds.

1) You could start with creating a simple HTML template and see what it looks like in your browser

2) Paste the code into a K2 Email event with your data fields and see what evilness Outlook does to it when the user receives it

3) Repeat steps 1-2 (at least 50 times) until the styling is perfect or when your local supermarket runs out of Energy drinks.

This not only reduces storage costs (no need for converting to PDFs) and provides all the info the Authorisers/Actioning teams need at a glance in a job ticket

Until K2 add some funky stuff with the email controls and events, you're stuff with dabbling. The good thing with K2 is that we can at least use these custom workarounds, although it's far from ideal.

:-)