Filter Approval Participants Group based on department

• 15 August 2017
  • 4 replies

I am new to K2 Blackpearl and the first workflow I'm working on creating has the following scenario that I"m not sure how to handle.

There are six departments and there are managers within each of those departments. The process for appoving something that is for publication is that if the person is from the Accounting Department, the manager from within the Accounting Department cannot be the approver.

I have all of the mangers in an Active Directory group, but is there a way within the workflow to indicate that only the managers in that Active Directory group that are not from the Accounting Department are allowed to approve?

Right now, someone in Marketing is manually selecting one manager at a time to check with and if they don't respond, she goes onto the next one. Obviously, it is a perfect scenario to create into a workflow. 

Looking for advise on making this happen.

4 replies

Badge +8

mhines,

Do you know if the managers field in Active Directory is always up to date? If so you can create a simple rule that state if the person logged into the form is equal to the originators manager show message and close browser.

You can also create a field that stores the department of the originator. Then you can create a parameter and populate the param with the dept of the current user. If the stored field from the originator is equal to the parameter deny access. You would call this rule on all required states except the base state.

Another way to accomplish this if the organization is not big or the group this process is targeting is small group. Create a user reference list. The columns can be User Display Name, Manager Name. Create a rule that populates a parameter with the Manager or the originator. Then if Current User equals Parameter (Manager Name) deny access and close browser.

I hope one of these examples helps.

Thanks,

Bryan Peters

Bryan - 

Since I maintain the Active Directory settings for Managers/Departments - I know that the information is as up-to-date as possible. This gave me a good bit of options.

In trying to figure out which way to go next on this, I'm wondering if any of those options would stop the users who match (where orginator department is the manager's department) from receive email notifications when the task goes to this step. While I wish I could say most will be working from the task list, given our experience, most of this has to be driven from email.

Michelle

Badge +8

Michelle,

It is possible to keep them from gettig the email but it will take some work in the configuration. I think the configuration will require logic in the particpants group within the workflow. You can add task groups in the "Participants step on each worklow state. This allows logic to be added so the workflow can be directed to the correct participant or participant group.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Bryan Peters

Thanks for the ideas. In the end, the department who starts the multi-step process wants to actually select the specific person and not have it go to the group (-minus the submitter's department). That decision took me in a completely different direction.

But with the way our processes are in my organization, I wouldn't be surprised if I need to address this kind of request again in the future.