Skip to main content

Greetings,

i came across an exception after installing K2 black pearl on a standalone server a few days ago, it is whenever i try to enter the Workspace i get "Service Unavailable" on the screen, and nothing interesting on the server log and the event log, and after checking the internet for a solutions i found a workaround that would help you get it to work, but it can't be used for a ever, which is to change the the App pool identity into local system.

after that i find the fix for it is to add the service admin to IIS_WPG & administrators in the local groups in the computer management, and to add the admin to %systemroot%Microsoft.NETFrameworkv2.050727Temporary ASP.Net Files security and to asshim read write permission.

that fixed it for me 🙂

Just a note here.  Local admin rights for the workspace app pool account is not needed.  You just need IIS_WPG rights and the temp folder rights.

The easiest way to get this done is to use the aspnet_regiis -ga "<domain><account>" command.  This does everything needed for you.

Local admin rights is only recommended for the K2 server service account.

Thank you for sharing your fix, Omarqas

Just in case anyone else comes across this post when they have the same problem/error message, here are some other things to check:

1) the app pool password is incorrect (when setting up K2 using the wizard, there is a 'test' button when you specifiy the app pool settings for Workspace. Use this 'test' button at install time to verify that you have entered the correct password. If you want to check it again after installation, the easiest way is to try to 'run as' or login as the app pool user to check that the password is correct)

2) the app pool has not started - this can happen if there is a port conflict with another web app on the same IIS server. Open up IIS management console, and list all the app pools - you may see that the app pool status is 'Stopped'. I have seen very rare cases where this happens for no particular reason, but generally it is because of a port conflict when no host header has been set to distinguish between web apps

3) registry or file access permisisons denied. Typically, adding the app pool ID to the IIS_WPG group should solve this, but sometimes there are verify specific security rights set  on the registry. If you have added the App Pool user to the IIS_WPG group, and then to the Local Admin group and you still get this error, use the process monitor tools from SysInternals to check whether there are any permisison denied errors when the app pool tries to read a file or access the registry.

Cheerio

Neil