Workflow triggering when it shouldn't

• 1 September 2016
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +3

Hi,

We are using SharePoint 2010 with Nintex Workflow 2010.

One of my lists has a workflow that keeps triggering when it shouldn't.

It has the below startup settings.

completedworkflow.PNG

The close out field is a multi line rich text box (with appending turned off)

If I go into the datasheet view of this list and edit the data on any other columns, it re-triggers this workflow.

Have i missed something here?

The way I am reading the start up is that it will only trigger the workflow if the close out value differs from its current value and is not empty.

Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hello Benjamin Martinson​ -

Your logic is correct, and I have tested it to confirm and not running into the issues that you are describing.

Did you change the [Closed Out] field from Rich Text to Enhanced Rich Text (or vice versa)? I tested that scenario and was able to see what you described in your question. Also, do you have a workflow to be triggered on New, if so, what does that do?

Hope this helps!

Badge +3

Hi Jesse,

The workflow has the below new item trigger.

I may have changed the field from enhanced text to rich text at some point (its been sometime since I made the list)

Badge +3

I have done some more testing,

Issue happens through the standard list interface on sharepoint, If i open an item via its form and do an edit then click save it re-triggers. 

I have set the workflow startup to no, then published then re-set the workflow to my original settings. Still no luck.

Badge +3

I will do more testing later but setting the close out field to plain text seems to have fixed the issue.

Pity the bug had caused the workflow send out a hundred or so emails to old requests and update dates messing with our reporting. silly.png

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

‌ - 

Changing from Enhanced Text to Rich Text will have altered the column type and the next time any user opened an existing item, and then saved it, it would have constituted a change. My guess is this does not happen more than once, only the initial change after you updated the column.