Skip to main content

I have a workflow that errors out occasionally for some reason. It gets to the end workflow action and it won't end. Instead it loops back through over and over until I go in and manually terminate it. All of the actions seem to be working properly so I can not figure out why it is generating an error message and continuing to repeat. There isn't even a loop action build into the workflow.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

206828_pastedImage_1.png

206829_pastedImage_2.png

206830_pastedImage_3.png

is this excerpt of workflow within a loop or state machine?

it looks you you have an update down the execution path that is effectively applied just with workflow end action.

yes this is the only path in my whole workflow that errors out. It does not have a loop or state machine, just conditional actions if this take this path. 

hm, it doesn't make too much sense why would workflow recycled itself on an error.

have you tried to investigate reason of the update/access denied  error?

can not it eg. happen that some workflow initiators doesn't have (or lost them during workflow run) sufficient rights on an objects that need to be updated with workflow end?

anyway, I suspect this is something related to SP infrastructure,

have you tried to check ULS logs?

I have tried to investigate the reason for the error but I am coming up short. The user should have access to everything it is updating, plus the fields ARE getting updated so the error really makes no sense. 

No I have not checked the ULS logs. I am not sure how to do that. 

first of all I'd tried to rule out whether the error is caused by an explicit update action within workflow or by some background update made by nintex or sharepoint.

if you have such an action(s) in workflow add commit before and after each of them. if any of them errors out, it will do so immediately and not with end workflow action.

to check ULS logs you need access to your SP server(s). maybe you need to get in contact with your SP admin.

how can i tell if the error is caused by an update action or by a background update?

with background updates I meant events like - you set 'workflow status' => update to the list item has to be performed, similarly with end workflow, or if you have calculated field in the list => it gets updated/recalculated with every change on item, etc

so you will not find any flag or direct evidence how the change was made. you have to analyze workflow behaviour and other event that may happen on list and or item.

maybe some hints might be read out of item history if you have it enabled.