Workflow failed to run and state machine

• 11 September 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi,

I have a workflow in my environment where there is a State Machine, sometimes when changing state the workflow errors (and it sends a notification) with this message: "WorkflowName failed to run" but after that it can continue and it goes correctly to the next state.

I remember that on the old connect forum there were a lot of threads about similar problem, but a lot of them ended linking this thread (http://connect.nintex.com/forums/thread/16685.aspx) but everytime I try to reach it, also changing from that url to the new oldconnect.nintex.com/... I get redirected to the new community site and I'm not able to read what is written in it.

Do you have any suggestion on how to solve this problem?

Safe looping is currently disabled on that environment.

Thanks

Giacomo

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What that post was referring to was the issue of having the Workflow Foundation service running on the App server and causing workflows to fail that run outside the w3wp process and into the owstimer. There are two common fixes to this issue by uninstalling and reinstalling the workflow timer job via a nwadmin action, but the most common resolution is to stop the service on the App server and have it only run on the WFE.

But that issue may not relate as you mentioned that the workflow then continues by going to the correct state and completing the workflow. That's an odd symptom to relate to the workflow service issue.

To test the setup issue, I would create a simple workflow with a log to history list action, pause for 1 minute, then log to history list. Does this workflow complete successfully? do you see the history logged correctly? If so, then the service setup is not your issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Attila, That issue may or may not be related. Especially if the state machine was working fine once before. I recommend creating a new post with more details about the state machine.

Also, single server scenarios are fine if you have it configured as a Farm and not stand alone. If the SharePoint farm is configured as a stand alone, certain services will not be made available. But i think Workflow Foundation will be included.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi ‌,

I was looking at my open threads and I've found this is still here..

unfortunately (or not? happy.png ) the farm where I was having that issue has been dismantled so I'm not able to do additional test but I remember that at the time I've done all the classic test to check about workflow timer job and everything looked ok..

I will mark this thread as assumed answered because I'm no more able to check the issue..

thanks for the suggestions, anyway happy.png

Giacomo

Badge

I think this article describes the general case and multiple ways to address it: