Skip to main content

I have a Nintex site workflow that does a query of an employee list (id's saved into a collection variable) - then processes through a for each loop (each item in the collection) and confirms that the person's manager is a 'valid SharePoint user'. Within the for each is also an update of the list item.  I have workflow logging messages on most of the steps in the workflow.  From these log messages I can tell the process seems to work fine, however after the last collection item is processed the workflow seems to hang (based on time stamp of log messages) for about 4 minutes and then errors out with basic log message 'An error has occurred in ... " (no useful details).  I looked in SharePoint ULS log and found nothing.  I am not sure how to proceed with debugging this error - any help is appriciated!  Thanks.         

Hello,

Do any of your items get updated in the list?  Are there any that fail to update?   The reason I ask is because if you can tell which item it doesn't update, you will be able to narrow down the problem item.  I've seen this behavior before, and it is often caused by one of two things:  a timeout, or you are using a value that is not valid for using in updating the item. This can happen if you are attempting to exceed the maximum number of characters that a single line of text column within a list can handle.  See if this might be the case for you.

Thanks

Yes - all items get updated properly! The workflow actually performs the expected way - all items are processed and updated in the loop - it simply does not end after all items in the collection are processed

Try to add a Commit pending changes action in the loop after the list item update. This will force the workflow to update each item one by one (not updating every items at the end of the loop). The error is maybe for a particular item to update.

I did modify my workflow and added a 'save all pending updates' action right before the workflow end and that did seem to resolve the issue.