Skip to main content

Greetings,

We had been running Beta quite succesfully on Windows Server 2008, then were shocked to find that it's not supported in the 0902 version after we had un-installed the Beta to install 0902.  Looking for some advice on how we can proceed.

Our MOSS farm has been built completely out of Windows 2008 machines (a DBServer w/SQL 2005, a Web Front End, and an application server).  Blackpoint Beta had been installed on the Application server (that was also hosing the SSP).  Now, we're in a bit of trouble.

Could we add another Windows 2003 server running Blackpoint if all the MOSS servers are running Windows 2008?  Would that be a supported configuration?

Failing that, is it possible to bypass the operating system check during setup so we could operate on an un-supported version until such time that Windows Server 2008 is supported?

Thanks,

I know Insider Jason Apergis did something with this.  I asked and he is going to blog about it and report back.

Funny you should bring this up.  I just ran into this.  Our MOSS WFEs are on Server 2008.  K2 blackpearl must run on Server 2003. 

So what we did was add K2 to the server 2003 box.  Then we added that box as well as a WFE on the MOSS far.  So one WFE was on 2003 and another was on 2008.  We then installed the K2 MOSS components onto the 2003 box.  MOSS then pushes all of the packages across the farm, which include thhe 2008 WFE machines.  We then removed the 2003 WFE from the farm and we running...

Thanks!  We'll give that a try.

Pleaes let us know how this goes.  Also know that this is a workaround and not a supported method.  Win2008 support is coming....

Thanks for workaround.

We also ran into this 🙂, during the beta2 period all sharepoint stuff (webpart, process portal components) of Blackpoint installed correctly to the win2k8 environment, and host server with webservices were on a win2k3 machine. After release RTM, the installer refuses this scenario.