Skip to main content

The 2013 installation guide states that 

"Nintex Workflow follows the same scalability and limitations as SharePoint workflows; both Nintex and SharePoint use the workflow engine inside SharePoint"
Does this mean that the Windows Workflow Manager that is used by SP 2013 style workflows is used or that the native SP 2010 style workflow style is used?
Is there any way to control which servers in the SP farm are used to run the Nintex WFs?

Hi Dean,

Nintex Workflow doesn't use Nintex Workflow Manager and will always use the builtin SharePoint engine. Thus there is no way I know to configure which server is executing workflows. They will use the SharePoint timer service that is executed on SharePoint web front ends.

Best regards

Enrico

Thanks for the confirmation, that is what I thought, 

Hi Enrico,

Before I see this post, I found that all our Nintex workflows were built on the SharePoint 2010 Workflow platform type when I check them in SharePoint Designer in our environment SharePoint 2016. So, I am curious (1) the Nintex workflow does not use the Workflow Manager, (2) How about the state machine and looping, which are implemented in the SharePoint 2013 workflow with the help of Workflow manager? Does it capable in SharePoint 2010 workflow platform. (3) Does Nintex workflow has their own feature to support the state machine and looping on top of SharePoint 2010 workflow? 

Hi Pyae Win‌,

(1) yes, Nintex Workflow does not use the Workflow Manager, even if it is present in the farm

(2) Whenever you pause or loop a workflow, the workflow won't be handled by the application pool process anymore but will be handled by workflow timer job. You can read more about this concept here:  

(3) State machine is a totally compatible feature in Nintex Workflow 2010 where it has an own action for it. Used it a lot of times.

Hope this brings some clarification happy.png

Best regards

Enrico

Thanks for your clarification Enrico. Cheer!

You're welcome happy.png