Skip to main content

I've asked something similar before but couldn't find it...

1. What rights do the users (who fill in and submit a smartform) need in Workspace?

(When a user clicks submit, a workflow send an Approval request to the Approver Group. This is an offline approval, so the Approvers receieve an email asking them to approve or decline the request via email)

2. What rights in Workspace do the Approver Group need in Workspace (they will doing offline approval via email only)

Thanks....

I think, you just need to give view participate for approval and start to start the process.

Is that for Approvers or submitters?

Do submitters need any rights to submit the form and start the workflow?

I believe a user will only need "Start" rights to submit a form and start the process.  Users who are a part of the "Destination Planning" configuration of a task page/event will automatically have rights to access and approve/reject/take action on that task item.

Please see documentation below regarding process rights:

https://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2blackpearl/userguide/current/webframe.html#pp-process_management_-_processrights.html

Went live today and big problems....

In the Process rights, I assigned all AD Staff to "Start" Process rights.... however the first user to submit the form gets an error "Unable to submit form as Start Process rights required"....

How can this happen? I've given the all AD Staff Group "Start" rights to that Process, so why the error?

I then went back into Workspace and Added "Server Event" and Saved, but that didn't work either.

In the end, I had to add that user manually to the process with Start Rights and it worked.

Why is it not working for my All Staff AD Group?

Please help, can't be added users manually all day....

Hi,

I've seen this before on 4.6.7.

It is resolved when restarting the K2 Service.

Please try that and if it does not work, log a support call with K2.

Regards,
JohanL

Hi Johan,

Now that my forms are slowly going online, the more i am noticing problems like this.

This is a big problem if users get that error when filling in the forms. What causes the problem?

I am finding more and more for reasons like this that I have to regularly restart the K2 service and IIS service as well.

Also, when developing forms on my PC using K2 Developer, the longer its loaded in a webpage, the slower the forms get to work on. Its as if there is a memory leak which starts as soon as I start editing a smartform. After 2 hours, the delay inbetween actions is extremely annoying.

I then close Internet Explorer, re-open it and its back to normal speed when editing.

I am going to open a case with K2, I can't have this happen on a Live system.

Hi,

The issue where groups are not given start rights is a bug if I remember correctly, but if knowledge serves it only affects clustered environments.

K2 support would be able to clarify better and would be able to advise when/if it was fixed.

On the slowness, I suggest using a browser other than IE to develop your forms on.

I don't know why but IE can get really slow over time.

I make use of Google Chrome for all my K2 smartforms development and I can develop for hours without any slowness.

It does help to restart your browser once a day to clear any built up memory though, but is also not necessary.

Hope K2 support can help you sort out the start rights issue!

Regards,

JohanL

Not sure how current this thread is (the post dates are all reported as invalid....) but I had this same issue with process permissions not being applied for groups.

It turns out that when you appy process rights in a clustered environment (in our case 2 load balanced K2 servers) the primary server sends a message to the other servers to update its local "process rights cache". It seems that K2 doesn't actually query the database to check a user's permisisons and instead uses a local process rights cache. There is a bug when granting a group process rights whereby the cache updating doesn't work - the message is sent to the other server(s) but the cache is not updated. The "cant start process error" issue occurs for users connected to the secondary server (via the smartform).

Resolution is to restart the k2 services, but this not always ideal. A workaround I used was to deploy the workflow to prod as early as possible before release (e.g. a week), apply the group permisisons and the let the process rights cache recycle (it seems to do this over a period of 5-7 days).

K2 have registered this as a bug but I'm not sure when a fix is planned.

We have just the one K2 server. If i add a user manually to Workspace it works and while i was testing it worked for small AD Groups as well.

However i am using an AD group containing all staff (which has several thousand users) and it fails.

I still have a call open with K2 on this, which needs sorting as i have users emailing me left right and centre....