Skip to main content

I am new to Nintex Forms2013, and I am trying to figure out how to best integrate with MS Sql databases.  This is what I have tried so far:

- I have made external content types in Designer, and I also can make external lists from those content types.  But it doesn't appear that Nintex Forms doesn't see 'External Lists' in the 'List Lookup' control.

- I have played with the 'External Data Column' control.  The only way I can successfully see data, is when the 'Display format' is set to Default.  That isn't at all the user experience I am looking for.  When I attempt to change the type to drop down, I get blanks at runtime.  I made the suggested 'wildcard' filter in the external content type, and still no results.

-I did a quick test of a third party add on by Prosymmetry, which seems to work.  But we don't want to have to purchase a commercial product.

In Infopath I can make whatever database connections I need, and then filter those dropdowns based on values within another field.  I can also use rules to query those data sources when necessary.   As far as I can tell, this doesn't seem possible with Nintex Forms.  I am hoping am wrong, and someone can point me in the write direction. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Hello,

As you've already noticed there is no out of the box way to accomplish this.   You might be able to do something with JS to accomplish a similar effect.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike.  This seems like a major drawback to using Nintex Forms.   I wonder if there are any plans to add this functionality?

The one thing that you might be able to do is use a workflow to fill a list from which you can draw your data from on the form.  So in other words, you could run a workflow (on a schedule possibly) that pulls the data in from your database and places in a list.   Then you could reference your list using a list lookup control on the form.

Just a thought!

Mike

Hi all,

As an update to this old post:  You are now able to connect to SQL directly from your Nintex Forms if you have Enterprise edition of on-prem.   See here:   Nintex Forms Enterprise - SQL Request Control

Thanks,
Mike

Great they have added this, but extremely disappointing it's been put only into an 'Enterprise' version.