Skip to main content

I know K2 can be installed and integrated with Sharepoint. however, I wonder what is the best way to read a List from Sharepoint 2013 to feed a dropdown for a K2 Form. 

I saw there is a way with REST, WebService, I wonder in your experience what api has giving the best results.

THX Dino.

You can use K2 for SharePoint 2013 to create a SmartObject that reads your SharePoint List. After that, you can just use that SmartObject to popular your drop down list control in your SmartForm.

I have installed and use K2 for Sharepoint integration.... however after some playing around I think for now would like to just use an external REST or API method to make a connection to read from a List. seem like to much configuration just to ready a Facility Directory List for a K2 Form.

So I was wondering if maybe from the Market or dirrect REST example somebody would suggest something, I found a video from K2 using Swagger to create a definition of the REST URL  http://swagger.io/  ]

I'm thinking If I use Sharepoint 2013 REST with my correct OAUTH might be able to create my JSON Definition to be consumed by K2. 

Yes last resort will be to export the Facility Directory list from sharepoint, insert into SQL and have it available, but I think would like to try to expand K2 arms to see if can make this work.

THX Dino.

I'm still having hard time trying to retrieve data from a REST API from Sharepoint 2013.

http://somesite.sharepoint2013.com/Lists/phonebook/AllItems.aspx

http://somesite.sharepoint2013.com/_api/web/lists/GetByTitle('PhoneBook')

http://somesite.sharepoint2013.com/_api/web/lists/GetByTitle('PhoneBook')/items

When is basically read the XML from teh List and presented as a dropdown in a SMO' for a K2 Form.

Unfortunately the Sharepoint 2013 broker seems like is the one used for Sharepoint Integration, but for this case I do not need Sharepoint Integration just read XML Data using a REST API.

Any ideas/recommendations will be greatly appreciate it. 

Hi, I am unclear why you wouldnt use the built in-broker for Sharepoint 2013. Thats exactly what it is designed to do. When you configure the K2 for Sharepoint 2013 app, its true that it sets you up for Sharepoint integration (events, K2 UI etc), but you dont have to use those capabilities. Just install the app, configure it to point to your K2 environment, so into the management console and smartobject enable your lists or libraries and from that point on, you can create comprehensive K2 smartform apps without thinking about REST API's, Auth etc. K2 does it all for you.

Then, if you are also trying to Smartform enable lists (replacing the OOB Sharepoint forms), the app does this just by Appifying the list (one click ). FRom that point on, you can modify the forms as you like, add workflows etc.

Dave

Thank you for the Reply.

Yes I'm aware of the capabilities of installing the K2 Sharepoint Integration, actually performed that task wihtin a TEST environment including SSL. However the Company Policy restrict us to have AppStore installed even if this is with a local App like K2.

Agree perform the Sharepoint Integration is the most straigh forward, however the scope of this post is to use the REST interface, because regardless if the URL is Sharepoint or not, could be some other internal Rails Application, PHP Application etc. I would like to acomplish without have to run trough all the installation of the App Store, permissions within Sharepoint, etc... all for just query a simple List.

Sounds like the more straigh forward solution will be just to import everything to SQL and create SMO and take it from there, but I'm exploring and trying to figure it out all the capabilities that can be acomplished with K2. To me should be an easy way to just point to the URL and get the data to be reused. or even perhaps from a XML File located somewhere in the File System.

Best Regards Dino.

Its surprising that your organization doesnt allow the deployment of SP2013 apps, especially through a managed corporate gallery , rather than the online Store. These are not like prior generation apps that are full trust. This app model K2 has adopted is recommended by senior Microsoft engineers and validated/certified by Microsoft as the way to deliver this level of integration. You could do all of this manually via a custom broker or the beta REST endpoint broker, but you would have to do a bunch of custom work related to serialisation/de-serialisation as well as Authentication (typically OAuth). K2 takes care of all that with the app.

The feedback we have had is that all K2 customers use the app in order to configure the broker services, even if they dont plan to use it for its other configured services.

Hope this helps

Dave