Skip to main content

We are thinking of using K2 for some no-roles involved scenario, that is, it is not like some approval type of workflow, instead, we would use K2 workflow like a component, passing some parameters to it and expect the flow to generate some result values, we are using the flow to workout something like program logic flow.

Many says workflow by nature is asynchronous, but in the above scenario, workflow can simulate program flow and behave like a component, if the availability of parameters require no waiting, it can have "synchronous-like" behavior, is there any fault in my line of thinking here?

And has anyone tried using K2 this way before?

This is an interesting concept, perhaps you could share more of your ideas.

It is possible to start a workflow instance so it runs synchronously using one of the overloads of the StartProcessInstance method.  The method will not return until it either finishes or it hits a client event. 

So the answer is that it is technically possible.  Another question is 'should it be done?'  What kind of advantage are you expecting to gain from this approach?  How long will these workflows run?  I think this is very interesting, but I would like to hear from other members of the community.

David

It would like Biztalk Lite without making use of human workflow capability.

I think it's fine.  It separates the flow from underlying implementation.