Skip to main content

I have a couple of k2 processes and a web application; I need to upload documents to sharepoint; I have a couple of options:

1. Use K2 SmartObjects to upload documents from my MVC application
  2. Use K2 Processes to attach documents and upload the documents to a sharepoint library

Option 1 seems the easier way, since option 2 will add unnecessary data to a process instance.

Any advice ?

Hi, You are right but each option has its own merits. You need to decide based on your actual requirement.

The option 2 will create additional data in process instance but easy to retry in case of any error happened. User doesnt need to upload again. Easy to have document approval mechanism (using K2 workflow).

The Option 1 will not store Data on K2 server. If smartobject failed at the time of submission of mvc form then user has to resubmit again. You may find difficult in your coding flow to handle the upload error (e.g you may successfully start workflow but document upload failed. If user resubmit again you may need to avoid starting workflow but upload just document mapping to the same workflow).

Questions:

Do you need K2 process for document approval workflow?

Do you need K2 process to be mapped to document?

The option 2 otherwise optioin1.

Thanks

Nathan Pillai

I would rather use option 1, the amount of bloat in the DB and the clean-up needed process-wise will make your life more difficult than it should be.  

I have added a 3rd option, and that is to upload documents directly to sharepoint using the sharepoint rest services.