Skip to main content

Hi,

I'm very new to Nintex and just taken up the task of improving my project's tracebility through SP and Nintex WF.

I need to make an issue tracking system (kinda like ticketing) but with more automation. Right now i'm stuck where i need to send request to 'item creator' for item update and more information. what could be a better efficient way to do it?

I saw there are ways using 'request data + update Item' controls... but somehow there is a problem sending data from workflow task to parent item.

Thanks for any help.

If you would like to communicate with the workflow initiator, the person who created the item and subsequently started the workflow, you should use the Send Notification action. This action just sends emails. You should put in the TO field the workflow context variable for Initiator. Click on the reference icon, then look in the popup for LOOKUP, expand this field and you will find under the COMMON section the option for INITIATOR.

And just a tip, if you are trying to keep workflow history long term, it is a best practice to create a secondary list to keep tracking/audit information. This type of tracking should be created above and beyond the workflow history lists. Create a secondary list, and add to it any fields that may be necessary. Fields like:

• Title
  • Action Time (Date/time)
  • Description (multiline) - add anything here to describe what happened. Maybe who, did what
  • Action Person (Person field) optional to identify a person who did something using the person value. Great for lookups and list view filters later

You can add anything to this list in the future as you find uses for it. To populate it, use the Create Item action. You can even save it as a snippet for quicker reuse.

But the point of the extra list is to best manage the history lists, as they are for tracking workflow status and statistics, but not really made for audits to track user interaction. Adding to the history using Log to history may lead to effects you didn't plan for. See Defensive Workflow Design Part 1 - Workflow History Lists​ and Demystifying Workflow History (Part 1)

Let me know what questions you have around the list, and also for the initiator notification. Hopefully this was a good lead.