Skip to main content

Has anyone ever successfully updated a Word document from a reference item or list?  Currently, I am updating a Word document from text, and setting the text value to a SmartObject property by calling a SmartObject's Load method,  selecting one of the properties as the return value, then inserting that property in the textbox on the "Source Content" screen of the Word Documents Event Wizard.  The method is a little cumbersome when working with many fields, and just wanted to know if there was an easier way to update each control, maybe by using a reference field?

As long as the word document is in .docx format, you can.

Here is a link explaining this:

Update Document Content Control Wizard - From Reference Item

This is an old post but I am trying to use the reference item but I cannot seem to get the workflow to accept any inputs.

when I try to insert a field and click next I get the error "the reference field does not exist". If I try to use a reference item it won't even let me add the entire item reference nor the "Document" field from the item reference.

Maybe I just dont understand what exactly it wants me to provide. I have been able to use the event wizard with a file location but my problem is that I need to be able to create multiple documents and the intent is to build one document per workflow that has been updated with the content from other documents. I have not resolved how I would do that on a file system as there is no folder create or document rename I can find for file system.