Skip to main content

Hi all.

I have a fairly simple process, with a single simple smartobject.  The object has only a handful of properties.

The process is kicked off by someone filling out an InfoPath form.  Some of the information they put into the form, I use to create an instance of a smartobject.  However, later on in the process, other activities done by other people need to update the data in that specific object.

How can I do this?  Sorry if this is a newb question... I am using the smart box and so only have create, save, delete, load, and get list as the methods.  Obviously, the first SmartObject Event I use right at the beginning of the process is the create method.

Should I be using the save method from then on out to update?  Or do I have to create an update method somehow?  "Save" is the only reasonably logical choice right now, but the wizard for "save" looks almost identical to the "create" wizard.

Right now, I've just had the create wizard from the beginning save the autonumber key of the created object to a form data field, and I've got the other smartobject events' inputs set to that FormID data field for the autonumber, and then I say that the other inputs are whatever new bit of information has become available, in the correct fields.

Is that going to work?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you are on the right track.

The Save method does an update of one row based on the primary key.  Since you are saving the returned autonumber ID after the create, specify this in the Save to update that record.

My only question is where to specify this primary key?

There seems to be only one screen where you can enter data.  if I have, say, five data properties, one of which is a key, and I want to use a smartobject event to update one of them, should on that screen I just enter both the FormID into the key property, and the updated data point into the correct property to update?

Will leaving the other properties blank erase the data that was in them when the object was created (will I have to reenter all the properties that I want to stay the same)?

Nevermind... I completed design of a test process and have it working how I need to, I think.