Update Lookup Column with Variable

Badge +7

Hello again.

I’ve previously posted about another workflow in this project and now the scope of the project has grown to include yet another new workflow. Long story short: I am uploading a text file to a library and have a workflow that parses the data and either updates an existing item in the Account Number list or creates a new item. The workflow works just fine when updating text fields. I’m having trouble updating a Lookup field with the data that’s been parsed from the text file and stored in a text variable. I know how to configure a workflow to update a Lookup field when I create or update an item in List B with data from List A. I don’t know how to do it when updating from Text File to List A. I have to keep the field a Lookup field because it’s used to make the cascading dropdowns in my form. I have found many, many discussions about updating Lookup columns and the answers range from java script to Call Web Service actions, but I know it must be simpler than that. There must be a way to update or create an item with a Lookup column and populate that column with data stored in a variable. Any suggestions? And if you have the answer, can you provide some sort of explanation as to why it would work one way and not another? I’ve included a screenshot of a configuration that does not work.

186880_pastedImage_0.png

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I do assume your where clause is configured correctly and identifies proper item to update....

what is the datatype of GBU field in GBU list?

have checked gbu_text contains correct/expected value?

have you checked gbu_text doesn't contain some leading or trailing spaces?

have you tried to supply some static value instead of gbu_text variable?

Badge +7

Yes, it finds the proper item to update. I've queried unique identifiers.

what is the datatype of GBU field in GBU list? Single Line of Text

have checked gbu_text contains correct/expected value? Yes, it contains the expected value.

have you checked gbu_text doesn't contain some leading or trailing spaces? It doesn't appear to. I put it in the body of a notification and it appears to be text with no characters or spaces.

have you tried to supply some static value instead of gbu_text variable? That works. I can type in a value that is one of the choices in the Lookup and it will update the field. When I try the configuration above with the variable, it doesn't error, but it doesn't update the Lookup field either.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14
I put it in the body of a notification and it appears to be text with no characters

I wouldn't believe that, spaces might have been stripped by mail agent or mail client somehow.

to be sure, I would try to supply value fn-Trim(gbu_text)

one more question, have you somehow changed variable return type (button with 3 dots)?

Badge +7

Hi! I just wanted to check in and say that I was sidetracked with a higher priority workflow and am finally circling back to this. I will try your suggestion and let you know what I find out.

Badge +7

This has been a fascinating learning experience! Trimming the variable is exactly what needed to be done and then it updates the field when the variable is configured as a string (the default setting).

The sticking point turned out to be the data going into my workflow. The .txt file needed some cleaning up and then my workflow functioned without a hitch.