Skip to main content

Symptoms

Unable to set user to out of office

Diagnoses

We have a user who has left the organization approximately 1 week ago and still has K2 processes/tasks assigned to them.

I attempted to add an out-of-office rule for this user using K2 Workspace, Workflow Server, Users, Out of Office and searching for the user. Unfortunately the search tool does not find the user.

Using the UM User "Get Group Users" smartobject in smartobject tester I searched the active directory group the user belongs to and confirmed that they exist and confirmed the spelling of their FQN.

Looking at active directory, this user is set to 'disabled', however there are other users listed in the Out of Office section who are currently disabled however I am not sure when they were originally added to the out-of-office rules.

Why is the search tool unable to find this user?

Resolution

By design k2 can not search against the identity services cache to get users, because at any point in time, there might only be a certain sub-set of AD users in the cache. (Not all users in AD has been assigned work just yet, so they might not have been cached yet.) In this case, we have to go to the "source of truth" (AD). And because the user is disabled, we can not "see" it.

You will be able to search for the user in workspace after you enabled the user in AD.

Slightly less "abbreviated" answer: We can not search against the identity services cache when trying to find a user this way in workspace. Because a user only gets cached when work is assigned to him/her, we will only have a sub-set of all the AD users in the identity services cache. When we search for a user in workspace, we HAVE to go against the "source of truth". We HAVE to search AD. Because we search for the users in AD, you will be able to see the user without having to wait for the identity services cache to update it. As a matter of fact, you will be able to search for users even if they are not in the identity services cache at all.

Be the first to reply!