Skip to main content

I am using Nintex 2010 with SharePoint 2010. I have a question and I hope there is an easy solution without having to modify the workflow.

I have a workflow. In this workflow I have several flexi-tasks. They fall under a state machine. This one flexi-task goes out to 3 approvers at once. The problem is there are people some times who don't respond. So you may have tasks sitting out there for months. There is an approver waiting on these approvals. He wants to be able to at anytime take over and approve/reject any of these tasks without the original approval delegating it to him. At the same time, he doesn't want to receive a bunch of emails. Is there some sort of permission or something he could have to do that? I know I can do it, but I am a site collection admin and I have full rights. He cannot have full rights. Any ideas?

I have some ideas, but I must first ask why you cannot update the workflow to use escalation within the flexi tasks based on a time frame for future cases?

Issues happen. Someone may change position or a SME might be required to participate unexpectedly. I think it's a valid question.

Hi,

Can you not Manage the Permissions for thoses tasks? I do not know if it is possible in 2010.

I know it is a manual action but if you do not want to change your workflow and it does not happen frequently.

Just an idea,

Christophe

Agreed. I was wondering if that single change may be a valid resolution if it was a common case. But you make a great point taking it in a different light.

Other options could be to run the NWAdmin command to move all assigned tasks from one user to another user. The site admin could do it on their behalf. You could grant the user higher privileges. You could also use a site workflow with a start form to enter a user to find tasks for and a user to replace assigned tasks to and have the workflow automate the effort in two possible ways, directly changing the assignee field or using the delegation action. I believe if you can change the assignee field, then you should not get any generated emails.

I hope someday Nintex will be as flexible in this regard as OOTB SharePoint 2007 Workflows were, where you could change approvers on the fly through the UI. I think there's already a suggestion about that at uservoice.

Agree that changing the permissions for this user on the item or workflow task list may be sufficient

So what permissions would the user need? Usually these managers go on travel and folks are sitting around waiting on items to be approved while some of these people are out of town. And sometimes users' accounts get disabled and things need to get done until all the red tape is finished to get their account back. In my situation, I can't run admin scripts. Only the SharePoint Farm admins can do that.

If a task is not assigned to you, a full control user should be able to complete them

Oh ok. We don't allow users to have full control. Only design permissions. Only those of us who help to administrate have full control.

Yes, these people go on travel, leave, etc.

I guess that will work for some people in other companies.

In my situation, I myself delegated it to another person so they could take over the task for the person who is away. I have the permissions to do that but I just wanted the person who is in charge of the site to be able to do it.

Yeah I try to keep up on my questions. I'm a regular around here, but lately I've been real busy helping with migration at work.

Thanks Frank! I enjoy being here in the community. Some of the members here are real helpful to others and me as well. When I first started in the community - I was new to working with Nintex at work. So when I had problems, I'd throw questions out. As I learned more, I'd help others. I continue to learn. I'm glad this community is here.