Skip to main content

An ASP.NET web application that is working about 90% of the time is falling over when trying to load SmartObject data via the API. I have managed to track the issue down to a call to the Win32API function TranslateName which is being made by the assembly ADUM.dll. This problem is intermittent, and the same page will work most of the time (for the same user). It does not appear to be user-specific -- it but when it happens it seems to happen to all users at the same time. The code that is causing the exception has not been changed in months.

K2, SQL, and WSS are all installed on the same box.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

Here are the exception details (as reported by the web application):

>Exception: Access is denied Resolving User:BECAMAILKMN]
   SourceCode.Hosting.Client.BaseAPI.BaseAPIConnection.RemoteCall(String TypeName, String MethodName, Objecte] Parameters, Booleane] NullList, MarshalMessageType CallType) +715
   SourceCode.Hosting.Client.BaseAPI.BaseAPI.RemoteCall(String TypeName, String MethodName, Objectb] Parameters, Booleano] NullList, MarshalMessageType CallType) +46
   SourceCode.Hosting.Client.BaseAPI.BaseAPI.RemoteSessionCall(String TypeName, String MethodName, Object ] Parameters) +17
   SourceCode.SmartObjects.Client.SmartObjectClientServer.ExecuteInstance(ArchiveX ax) +71

Exception: Server Exception: Access is denied Resolving User:BECAMAILKMN]
   SourceCode.SmartObjects.Client.SmartObjectClientServer.ExecuteInstance(ArchiveX ax) +182
   SourceCode.SmartObjects.Client.SmartObjectClientServer.ExecuteScalar(SmartObject smartObject) +931
   Beca.Quality.Audit.Web.EditCAR.PopulateCARControls() +236
   Beca.Quality.Audit.Web.EditCAR.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +235
   System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +15
   System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +33
   System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1436

And here is an example of what's in the AdumError.txt file in C:Program FilesK2 blackpearlHost Serverin directory:

24-09-08 12:15:53 GetUser
Access is denied Resolving User:BECAMAILm3
   at ADUM.Translate.NameToDN(String Name)
   at ADUM.K2UserManager2.GetUser(String Name)
Additional Information
GetUser(BECAMAILm3)

Hmmm... I have seen some AD account strangeness in my day.

First of all, is the user referenced in the error a valid user in AD?

If so, has any of the basic user security been modified for that account?  I have, in my past life as an AD Admin, seen inheritance get turned off on certain AD User objects, causing the security options for an account to get "wacky".