Skip to main content

Hello community.

Splitting a workflow seems useful and reasonable but what would be the approach in this case to the Status column, where you have the text of the status and a link to it. This becomes a requirement expecially in cases when the workflow doesn't start or fails at some point and having multiple status colums (for all the sub-workflows) would not be too useful. I am currently splitting a large workflow into 7 pieces and was wondering how to solve this.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thank you.

Dimiter

Do you mean OOTB workflow status column or your custom one?

Well, I meant the OOTB one since it links to the status page and shows error messages, but if that can be achieved otherwise I don't mind. I actually use a text column for displaying custom status messages (from all sub-workflows) but they are just text and I don't know how to inform the users in case of errors.

Thanks.

you do not have any control over OOTB workflow status column, it's created automatically, if you configure the workflow so.

but once you create several workflows, each of them will have its own history log, so you will anyway not see records from child/sub workflows in main/parent's workflow history log log. so, status column for each subworkflow might be helpful.

Dear Marian,

I realize that each workflow has its own history. My main issue is that having 7 workflows instead of 1 makes it inconvenient to follow the status - I am really hoping to not show all 7 status columns in the default view happy.png 

My worries revolve around cases of errors (status "Error Occured") which the user will not see in the view.

The only approach to this I can figure out is setting the Workflow Error Notification in Settings so that an administrator receives an email for all errors.

(Edit: also in those settings - the initiator receives an email too but my workflow is started by a service account)

I use to write child workflow's history log URL into main workflow log, so when going through main workflow's log I can jump directly to child's log.

maybe that might be an option for you as well.