Skip to main content

hi,

i'm trying to upload a file in sql server. i have my file in a data of type "binary" in my workflow.

I use the wizard of the event "SQL Data" to upload it in my sql server table, in a column of type "binary". Then when i run the process i get an error message saying that it's impossible to convert from varchar to binary. (varchar = string in sqlserver).

How am i supposed to upload this file in sql server? what am i doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

I don't think you'll be able to use the 'SQL Data' even to upload this because this template creates a straight SQL statement under the covers (you can view it by clicking "Edit Code" for this event).  As I understand it in ADO.NET, binary data must be inserted via parameters. 

You could write the parameterized ADO.NET code within a Server Event.  The ADO.NET would expect a byte array (bytey]), which is the actual binary data.  This can be retrieved via the below call (where "EmbeddedFile" is the binary process data field).

byte ] oBuf = (System.Byte.]) K2.ProcessInstance.DataFieldsi"EmbeddedFile"].Value;

At this point it you can write normal ADO.NET code within the server event to insert the binary data.  There are a number of examples on the internet that show how to insert Binary data into SQL via ADO.NET via the use of a paramertized query.

You will not be able to do it using SQL Data event. Use Server Event with custom code instead, where just put bytes from your binary field manually.