Skip to main content

When working directly with K2ROM in a .NET client application, we've found that the first time we call Connection.Open it can take 30 seconds to respond.  Subsequent calls from the same user/workstation are less than a second, even after the application is restarted.  After a few hours of inactivity, though, the delay appears again.

Has anyone else encountered this?  Are there any solutions or workarounds to reduce this delay?

Thanks!

Bill Sorensen

Hi Bill,

I suspect it is caused by building up the AD cache, the first time a user logs in.  When the cache expires, K2Server needs to query AD again - causing the second delay you're talking about.

This value (together with ResolveNestedGroups setting) is set in the K2.net 2003 Service Manager by entering the following string in the 'Data' field of the User Manager Tab: ADCache=10;ResolveNestedGroups=False.  (These are the default values).  If this string is not present, then the default values will be used.  You can change the ADCache to refresh after a longer period of time like 120 mins.

Unfortunately, there's not anything (at least that I know of) you can do about the delay the very first time a user logs on.

HTH,

Ockert

Thank you - we will look into that!

Hi Ockert,

We tried setting the delay to 720 on a development server, restarted it, then connected from the same workstation at 10 AM and 3 PM as the same user with the same application.  The workstation was not rebooted, but the user logged out and logged back in.  Both times there was a delay connecting to K2; in the afternoon, this was close to two minutes.  During that time the K2.net 2003 Service Manager also would not connect to that server from that workstation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

icon-quote.gifOckert:

Hi Bill,

I suspect it is caused by building up the AD cache, the first time a user logs in.  When the cache expires, K2Server needs to query AD again - causing the second delay you're talking about.

This value (together with ResolveNestedGroups setting) is set in the K2.net 2003 Service Manager by entering the following string in the 'Data' field of the User Manager Tab: ADCache=10;ResolveNestedGroups=False.  (These are the default values).  If this string is not present, then the default values will be used.  You can change the ADCache to refresh after a longer period of time like 120 mins.

Unfortunately, there's not anything (at least that I know of) you can do about the delay the very first time a user logs on.

HTH,

Ockert

Just some thoughts...

This almost sounds like a network latency issue. Can you determine whether there is a delay in handing the requests/responses between the dev machine and the network AD controller (if on a separate box)?

Is this a single domin or multiple domains (cross domain)?

(I've seen this type of lag time when network switches are monitoring/filtering the traffic/packages or the network is not at '100% health' or there are hops between domains or a domain controller is a under-powered/older box.)

Is the delay caused by the application pool being started?   In IIS it defaults to shutdown after 20 minutes of idle time.

Thanks - we will investigate these.