Skip to main content

Hi,

We setup a new application and got a new SMTP relay to configure for the environment. After configure we are getting the error “Error in processing. The server response was: 5.7.3 Must issue a STARTTLS command first” while sending emails using the Email Event.

We checked with the SMTP team, they asked to check whether TLS is enabled. So we used the “ConnectionStringEditor.exe” under the path “....K2 blackpearlHost ServerBin” from K2 severs to check the SMTP connection string and modified the TLS property to ‘BootTls’. But still the issue didn’t get resolved.

We have tried ‘StartTls’, then made changes to the Authentication property like Plain, windows. But still the same error is logged while sending the email.

Please suggest any solution. please find the Screen shot for error details

16328i73A319A7A0295998.jpg

I assume you have two SMTP connection strings?  One with email address and one without?

For the one with email address try the following configuration, such that the ConnectionString would look like:

Port=25;TLS=StartTls;Host Name=dlx.denallix.com;Authentication=Windows

For the connection string without an email, configure that such that the connection string:

Port=25;TLS=StartTls;Host Name=dlx.denallix.com;Authentication=Anonymous

I assume you also save the changes and restarted the K2 blackpearl service before retesting?

Hi tin,

Thanks for the reply.

i have tried your solution but still getting same error. can you please suggest any other resolution

Thanks and Regards,

Hemant

Hi Hemant,

This sounds strangley familiar ;)

Sounds like bootTLS is not the correct setting for your SMTP connection.

12634iDDCA6DCCE1D8D4B7.png

I'd verify with your email guys what the correct settings are, but that error is rather specific about not issuing a starttls command to the mailserver as part of the initial handshake between K2 and the SMTP server.  You can also test via something like this: https://www.simplecomtools.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5&, which takes K2 out of the loop in a way, so you can verify settings are correct quickly and easily.  It will at least tell us if the K2 server isn't taking the changes for some reason.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

We have used a similar SMTP test tool to check on sending email using the SMTP host, port and enabling SSL. We are able to send email using the tool. When using the same configuration in K2 it is throwing error.