Skip to main content

Hi There,

I am doing a installation of K2 Server in a distributed environment, where the K2 Server, the SQL server and the report server are all on seperate machines.

On the K2 Server I have only installed the K2 2blackpearl] Server, the K2 Workspace and the K2 Databases on the application server (K2 Databases created on alternate server).

When I start the Workspace I get a error accepting port 5252 (connection actively refused), which is the K2 Server. I started the server in console mode and get a

Info   7003: SourceCode.SmartObjects.Runtime.SmartObjectClientServer not yet Loaded.

I tried reinstalling and restarting, but with no joy. I configured the Service Account I am starting with as an administrator, with dbowner access to the databases. I have previuosly used a SQL Authentication account but had issues starting up, so now the user I installed with has all access, and the services do start (with the exception of the error above).

Is there anyone who has a simmilar issue or could point me in a direction to look for the souce of the error.

Thanks in advance

That message can be caused by the K2 Service account not having permissions to set up the necessary MSMQ queues.

Try setting SPNs for the service account, this has fixed it for me in the past:

setspn -A K2Server/<SHORTNAME>:5252 <DOMAINSERVICEACCOUNT>

setspn -A K2Server/<FQDN>:5252 <DOMAINSERVICEACCOUNT>
setspn -A K2HostServer/<SHORTNAME>:5555 <DOMAINSERVICEACCOUNT>
setspn -A K2HostServer/<FQDN>:5555 <DOMAINSERVICEACCOUNT>

thanks for the reply codik.

I finally got access to the domain admin account (it is a co-sourced environment) but it is still doing the same thing. I reinstalled everything including the databases, but still have the same error.

The MSMQ is set up on the machine, but I have not done any configuration. Did you have to do anything to them (set up a public or private queue?).

Thanks

Hi blake

thank you for the input. The '.. not yet loaded' messages scroll continuously and dont go away while I had it installed with the farm option. I only have a single server at the moment, but I wanted to make it possible for the amount of servers to be expanded and also I have the sharepoint and srs on different servers.

I tried your option of installing as a standalone server and (as you rightly said) the eror goes away and the server comes up. So my next step is to check the load balancing. I think the kerberos is working correctly but I will wont take it for granted and will do a complete check.

Do you have any idea if I need a farm for a distributed installtion.

Many thanks for your input all those who replied.

Hi Kevin,

If you are getting this error at the K2 server layer, I would check the following:

1. SPNs are set correctly and replicated correctly (if there are multiple DCs in the domain)
  2. K2 service account for the K2HostServer service is set correctly with the correct password and it is a local admin on each K2 node.  Also make sure that this accoun has "Log on as a service" rights.
  3. Make sure NLB is configured correctly before doing the K2 setup.  Make sure the nodes can ping each other.
  4. During the K2 setup, make sure you are using server farm option and not stand alone server.
  5. During the K2 setup, make sure you specify the virtual cluster name correctly.  By default, the installer only puts in the domain path (e.g. contoso.local).  If this is wrong, you will have issues starting the K2 Host service.

Other that that, if it still doesn't work, I would turn on Kerberos Logging to track if there are any errors in the event logs.