Skip to main content
Just to clarify, any smartforms that are developed today using K2.net 2003 will continue to run against BlackPearl but there will be no new version of the SmartForm controls as you know them today. The forms technology in BlackPearl is going in a different direction.

-Eric
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of using each K2Rom vs Smartforms? The process that I'm trying to do is somewhat complex and I think K2Rom method would be more appropriate, but I'm unable to really justify why I can't use Smartforms. Can anyone shed some light here?
Use K2ROM will give you a upgrade path to future K2 version (BlackPearl).
SmartForm will not.
In no particular order...

K2 SmartForms will only work with VS.NET 2003(.NET 1.1). They wil not work with VS.NET 2005 (.NET 2.0) due to an issue that was introduced within the .NET 2.0 Framework. If you are planning on using VS.NET 2005, there is currently no choice but to use K2ROM.

K2ROM has a very small learning curve. Generaly you design your ASP.NET form just like you would any other ASP.NET form, but instead of wiring up the controls to work with an external database you have make calls to K2ROM.

K2ROM will work on .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0.

K2SmartForms are very simple to implement, but do hide some of the page events. If you have a complicated UI, I would use consider K2ROM as you have complete control over the ASP.NET page events.

K2SmartForms require K2Studio to be installed and open to the process on the VS.NET developer's machine (there is communication between the two apps during design time). If you are looking to divide responsiblity among a development team this can be an issue (i.e. putting K2 Studio on someone's machine that does not workflow development).