Skip to main content

Hi all

I have to build a smartform witht he following scenerio. Just wanted to get ideas from you guys to see if its possible using smartforms.

Lets say I have a main form with the following two views

---------------Main Form--------

Item View

--Name

--Address

List View

--OrderName

--OrderNumber

Submit Button

-----------------End of Main form----

On List View Item Click of the main form: open a subform with following three views

It will populate the Item View below with the selected row data in the order listview in the main form.

----------------PopUp Form-----------

Item View

--OrderName

--OrderNumber

List View

--Location Name

--LocationDetails

List View

--Product Name

--ProductDetails

Update Button

---------End of PopUp form---------

I then add some data to the location and product list views in the popup form and click the update button.

It will then close the subform and all the changes will be stored temporarily to somewhere on the form itself.

And when I click Submit button on the main form it will only then write all the data to the database.

This looks possible to me.

What is your backend going to be (i.e. SharePoint or SQL)?

The tricky part will be building the subform with the item + list view built into it and populating it from the main form.

I built something similiar to this, where I created two seperate views just for the Subform and launched that form when a user wanted to search and update a new company.  The form would popup and they could search and click on a company to populate the main form.

If you want to see any of the stuff I built as an example, let me know.

Thanks for your reply. I would definately be intrested in seeing your solution. Does your subform have a list view. Im finding the list view part the most challenging without storig them directly to a database and reading from the database everytime. The backend is a sql database.

Here is a general breakdown for the solution I built.

Basically, the users are entering in product data and they can change the manufacturer to someone we have on the system.  When they click edit, it fires a subform where they can search and select a manaufacter tied to the product.

Let me know if you need more details.  The way I approached this is I built the subform functionality first with item/list view, then I just called it from my product form.  With a few subform rules, I was able to pass the data back into my main form.

Thank you for your reply. In your scenerio you are only ever passing one line of records or even just only a few values from that line item. My scenerio requires me to store several records in the subform and I havent been able to find a way of storing that in the form itself temporarily. I think I will have to either store every change made to list in the database directly until this sort of funcionality is developed by K2.

Thanks for you help.