Skip to main content

We have created a workflow that makes use of email based approvals using SmartActions. Some of the users who will participate in the workflow are not employees of our company. We have gone ahead and created Active Directory accounts for these users so they can be a destination user, and their email is configured to whatever their personal email account is. It is not one of our corporate email accounts.

Everything works except for the SmartAction not being triggered when the email is received. We are able to see the email get sent to them correctly. They respond using one of the available actions in the body. We have verified that the SN number is in the email. And we have verified that the email is making it into the K2 service accounts inbox. 

However no action is taken in response to the email. If we reply from one of the users who has a corporate email account, the SmartAction works fine. If an external email account, nothing happens. There is nothing in the documentation that we have read that indicates this should not be something that is allowed, so wondering if anyone else has any advice.

We have checked the event logs. No errors. We do not see any error in the process instance. It is still active. K2 just seems to ignore the SmartAction response email.

Any ideas? 

Buddy,

Any luck with this. In our case, it has become bigger issue as we are in the process of Exchange migration and some of the users are already on the new server. When they respond, K2 didnt not anything, no error, no log and no message. But when the people from old Exchange, they reply, system works.

What fixed it for us was modifying the binK2HostServer.exe.config file.

We added the following to the <system> node. The bold part is what we added.

<system self="..." enableListeners="..." allowAmbiguity="..." > 
<security spamSecurity="Off"> <!-- Default is InternalMail. --> 
<!-- A list of trusted domains that are checked against the RECEIVED-FROM header. --> 
<authorizedDomains> 
</authorizedDomains> 
</security> 
</system> 

Hi,

I tried to use it as below but no luck. Is there anything that I am missing?

<system self="..." enableListeners="..." allowAmbiguity="..." >
<security spamSecurity="Off"> <!-- Default is InternalMail. -->
<!-- A list of trusted domains that are checked against the RECEIVED-FROM header. -->
<authorizedDomains>

<add domain="x.ae" />

<add domain="x.corp" />
</authorizedDomains>
</security>
</system>

We have an empty list within the <authorizedDomains> element. We do not have any elements within it. And, make sure you restart K2.

Your problem may be different than ours also. We did have to contact K2 support to resolve this. Wish their documentation was BETTER! :(

Yes.. that is working but as soon as I define domain list, things stopped working. but removing the list is for me a risk as it means we are allowing all domains. So as a work around, I used InternalMail with an OWA rule for workflow mailbox to redirect emails from new exchange domain to the old exchange domain which fixes the RECEIVED-FROm header and K2 picks the mails.

Thanks for the guidance.

Posting this in hopes that it might help others:

We have an external help desk software the sends emails with our external domain (helpdesk@domain.com), because they were coming into our Exchange server via smtp they were being marked as spam by K2.  In order to allow them in I needed to add both the external AND internal domain as displayed in the message header (is seems BOTH the "from" and "by" are checked):

Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
           boundary="_79cd958b-1cf8-459f-bd88-4951292d07e8_"
Received: from helpdesk.DOMAIN.com (10.1.2.154) by CAS-01.INTERNAL-DOMAIN.com
           (10.1.1.1) with Microsoft SMTP Server id 14.3.174.1; Tue, 24 Jun 2014 09:13:46 -0400

required Authorized Domains entries:

<authorizedDomains>

<add domain="*.INTERNAL-DOMAIN.com" />

<add domain="*.DOMAIN.com" />

</authorizedDomains>