Skip to main content

HI all,

I've read a few K2 documents on smart actions and I have a few questions that the documents didn't answer. I am not able to configure smart actions due to environment restrictions, so I am not able to test.

Question 1:

In one of the K2 documents I read, you had to configure the actions that your workflows had in the K2 host server config file, in the <synonyms> tag. My question is,

Example; if I had a form with two actions called "Approve with new date" and "Approve” in a workflow activity. And my K2 host config file looked like below.

<action value="approve">
       <synonym value="approved"></synonym>
</action>

Does this mean that the "Approve with new date" would not show in the email as a valid action?

Question 2:

Does the event task notification have to be used for creating a email that works with smart actions or can any email event work. I read that as long as the reply email contains the action and the serial number it should work. Does the serial number have to be prefixed by anything or can it be inside a html <a> tag. What happens if there is two serial number?

Question 3:

Can you control which activity can work with smart actions and which activities don’t? For example: If I have two activities, I only want one of the activities to work with smart action but the other activity, I want the user to open the form to complete the task.

While I continue reading more documents, any help with these questions or any advices would be great.

Thanks 

Hi s0m3one

Not sure about Question 1, but that seems to have been answered in your other post. 

Question 2: Yes you can create your own email and not use the task notification email. As long as the email has the serial number in it, and is sent to the smartactions account inbox (usually the k2 service account) then it will work

Question 3: Yes you can control which activities, and even which actions can be actioned using smartactions. When you configure the actions in the client event, there is an option "Make the action available without opening the work item". If this is checked the user can action via smartactions AND via the worklist.

Hi,

Based on my knowledge, if you have "approve" and "approve with new date", if "approve" is place at the top of the config list, it will take as "approve" instead of "approve with new date". 

Thanks all for the answers. @Andrew_Blinco: I do not remember asking that question in another post. Please send me a link if possible. I have been able to test some of this now but I have another question. If I am using a custom email event, how do I show the available actions for that task? If i use a default client event there is an option to notify participants whent hey reeive a work item. When I tick this I get another option to customise the notification message. In there I am able to select a workflow context field called "Configured Actions". However, I use IPC calls to a process that handles all the notifications. Therefore, the task notification email has to be in a seperate event to the default client event. How to I get the "Configured Actions" in another event?

Hi S0m3one

This is the link to your other post: http://community.k2.com/t5/K2-blackpearl/Smartaction-Questions/m-p/83647#M25210

As for adding in the available actions to an email event in an IPC process, the "Configured Actions" will not be available to you. If the actions are known and static, then you can obviously hard code them (e.g. manually enter) into your email body.

If you need to set them dynamically, then you may need to look at a custom solution. The Workflow Management Service has a "List Actions" method that returns actions for a given serial number. However this will only execute sucessfully if the user executing the method is a destination user (so the service account will normally fail). You could look at modifying the code if you are comfortable doing so.

Thanks Andrew. I did not realise there was another post I had started, must have got cut off and a posted it by mistake.

As for the configured action, like you siad, i was not able to get this workflow context filed in other events apart form teh client events . Looks like I will either have to hard code this or reuse a method i wrote to get worklist item and actions by impersonating. I dont have any more questions atm regarding smartaction but If i do i will ask here.

Again, Thanks a lot for your help guys.