Skip to main content

Hi,

can anyone tell me if it is possible to have two events triggered simultaneously in a workflow designed through K2 SmartForms Designer?

The designer has a SmartForms Client Event with two outcomes Approve and Reject. When the Reject action is chosen how can I get two events to fire simultaneously? At the moment I can only create two events after this action with different outcomes. Is it possible to use the same outcome for two events?

Cheers,

Sam

Would something like this work?

http://imgur.com/a/YRM8y#0

Hi Sam,

I'm not 100% sure exactly how you want the events triggered, and there are two different paths I can think of for what you want to do, so I'll provide both.  The first one resolves the issue with the workflow design, the second with the form design.

11120i28828F1D8B886D54.png
Option 1: Two events after the reject step in workflow

Essentially, you’ll want to create two actions following the reject step in the workflow.  

While the actions are not truly happening simultaneously (multithreaded), but one after the other, it is close enough for most applications, especially for server events. Simply create an outcome for the first activity (Event 1B) and add your next event following that (Event 2).  I'd place any server events first in the "chain" if they don’t require user interaction, as a user event will stop the workflow until the user has completed the task.  You could also trigger a secondary (child) workflow event.

This looks a little different in K2 Studio, where multiple events can be housed in the same activity.  The functionality of either is largely the same.

15749i501F3E2627EDC513.png

Option 2:  If you are looking to trigger two separate workflows from the same form and run them in parallel

This would be as simple as editing the control that submits the smartform to start two workflows, and setting it to concurrently, unless the output of one workflow is needed for the other, in which case, in a batch would be the option needed.

14990iE6F6C6BEE4B8A5B8.png

Good luck with your project!

Mike

11897i07AC0C440354ECA1.png
16466i8F803FF2203405B4.png
12512i576E2EBBF6343AF8.png

Thank you for your replies.

We are looking to achieve this in the workflow.

I have attached a screen shot of how you would do it in K2 Studio I just don't know if it is possible in the SmartForms Workflow Designer or SharePoint Workflow Designer.

If the user selects the Reject action it goes to DefaultActivity2 which will automatically fire DefaultActivty3 and DefaultActivity4 simultaneously.

Thanks,

Sam

12415iFAE9EF57BA59B1FE.png

Thanks for the reply!

I sort of suspected that was what you were after.  There is a way to do it in designer, but each outcome cannot have the same name.

15776iC39F27CEFD11175A.png

Start by creating your user task

16616i5325792B56C1FC42.png

Then configure your outcome(s) and edit the rule behind each:

15071iAAD1DBF297DBBBEF.png

Select reject for both outcomes

16095i8AE4E553D8653CC1.png

That should accomplish what you're looking to do in designer.