Skip to main content

Hello,

I'm new to Nixtex form designer for SP 2013. I have a field called "Privacy Waiver" that I've created on the list. I have dropped the yes/no control on to the form and did not connect it to a field. I then setup the required validation with some text if it doesn't validate. When I connect it to the "privacy waiver" field, the control removes the required validation. Is there a way to set this up without needing to resort to a javascript customization?

Thank You,

Trevor

Yes - Nintex Forms has "Validation" type rules.  Simply place one of these type of rules on your Yes/No check box to either validate it when checked, or when not checked (whichever you require).

Formatting vs Validation Rules in Nintex Forms

Thanks

Hi Mike,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was asking why when I connect a yes/no field to a field in the SP list does the simple validation get removed? It works when it is not connected to a field but when it is connected to a field it dissapears? also what does the act of connecting a nintex form field to the list form field do? just saves the data in that column?

Thank You,

HI Trevor,

I think I understand your situation, you are referring to the "required" box that sometimes appears and then sometimes vanishes when you connect to a given Sharepoint field.   For the most part, connecting a field on the form to the Sharepoint field in the list will inherit the properties configured for that field in the SP list.

In the case of a Yes/No field - in Sharepoint terms, it will either be a value of Yes or No (no matter what). Making it required doesn't really make sense to it, because it will always have a value (Yes or No).

None the less - on a Nintex form, when we think of a Yes/No check box, it might have several meanings ---- we might use it as an a way to hide and show items, or force a user to click on the check to Agree to terms of something, or it just might relay the Yes or No value mimicking the behavior of the Sharepoint column.

In other terms:

The simple validation says:   "Required to be checked"   - not required as in must have a value in the Sharepoint scheme of things, but rather from a GUI user experience perspective.

On the other hand, Sharepoint deems "required" as not empty - but since Yes or No always is one or the other - it doesn't have the "required" element in its configuration.

Hope that helps a bit, I know its a bit confusing.

Thanks

By the way:   using the built in Nintex rules of type Validation allows us to very easily make a Yes/No checkbox that is connected to a Sharepoint field forced to be Yes aka Checked without the need for any Javascript or custom validation.