Skip to main content

This will be my intro to K2.  Need some help using k2 studio to create a simple Sharepoint list workflow:

I have an existing list that has a contact field populated with an AD user.  I also have a dropdown status field that is either Open or Closed.  I would like to fire an email off to the Contact person if the status goes to closed.

My initial thoughts were to start with SharePoint Events Process and add an Event Wizard with email Event.  However it seems to get more complicated with identifying the status field = closed.

Thanks for any assistance.

David

Hi David,

Welcome to the wonderful world of K2!  You're on the right track!  This functionality is possible by using the SharePoint Workflow Integration process wizard to point to your specific SharePoint site and list, and then adding an E-mail Event with a Preceding Rule.  The rule should target the XML field for your dropdown list and check if the value is equal to Closed.

Hope this helps!

- Jonathan

Jonathan,

Even though this reply is 15 months too late.  I'm hoping your examle will help some of the new-comers into the wonderful world of K2.

David

Think though, if the winds of fate had declared this post not to be answered for say, 30 months, Jonathan's post is actually 15 months EARLY. Who are we to challenge the universe's mysterious chronometric whims?

I have added a preceding rule to the workflow but the mail is still not being sent. what setting would I need that would start the workflow, Manual or updated item? I have tried both of these and they are not working.

I am new to K2 so it might just be an oversite on my part. any help would be much appreciated.

@CraigBrook  If the email isn't being received, it could mean that your preceding rule logic is preventing the workflow from reaching the email event, or the workflow isn't being triggered.  Check to see if any workflow instances have been launched, and if so, look at their view flows to determine where they are stuck.As to the workflow trigger setting, that's up to your own design.  For testing purposes, I would set the workflow to trigger when a new item is added, create a new list item, fill out the fields that you are checking in the workflow, then look at the view flow for that workflow instance.

So I reviewed the view flow and the workflow is running correctly  and the preceding rule is also correct this runs correctly when I manually start the workflow but when I set the workflow to start on an updated item then it does not  start, which start setting is incorrect, or do I need a different event to start the workflow?