Skip to main content

Hi all,

Just spent about an hour on a rule that should have taken 30 seconds.

I want to disable a field on my form UNLESS another field = "X" OR "Y"

That's it. The field I'm checking is a list lookup, and I know about parselookup() and I am using that. I even abstracted the parselookup out of formatting rule and have that being done separately in a variable now, still no success.

I've tried about 50 variants, including the following. The best I have gotten is the rule correctly disables if the first match is met (X), but never for the second (Y)

txt_ParsedPersonnelType != "Contractor Affiliate" || "Employee Affiliate"

txt_ParsedPersonnelType != "Contractor Affiliate" || txt_ParsedPersonnelType !="Employee Affiliate"

not(equals(txt_ParsedPersonnelType, or("Contractor Affiliate", "Employee Affiliate")))

not(equals(txt_ParsedPersonnelType, "Contractor Affiliate" || "Employee Affiliate"))

not(equals(txt_ParsedPersonnelType, ("Contractor Affiliate" || "Employee Affiliate")))

not(equals(txt_ParsedPersonnelType, "Contractor Affiliate" || equals(txt_ParsedPersonnelType,"Employee Affiliate")))

Currently, I can get the rule to correctly enable the field if it equals Contractor Affiliate, but it does nothing if i select Employee Affiliate. If i switch the order of these two, the first one is the one that always works.

help!

what about condition like field != 'X' && field != 'Y' ?

if field value is X or Y, formula evaluates to false and your other field is not disabled.

if field value is Z, formula evaluates to true and the other field is disabled.

Thanks again Marian. Seems like switching from OR to AND was what i needed! happy.png