Skip to main content

Symptoms

When I assign a user task to a SP Group in my DEV site collection and move it over to the PROD site collection, the workflow breaks on the user tasks. I'm guessing it's because the SP Group has another GUID in PROD, than what the workflow has saved from DEV?

Can the workflow assign the task with the SP Group Name instead of the GUID so I don't have to make changes and re-deploy once it's in PROD?

Diagnoses

It is correct that the SP is being called from GUID rather than name when you use the Group Browser.

Resolution

The issue was resolved by using a data field with the group name, forcing it to search by Name and not GUID.

Step 1: Create data field at the beginning of the workflow with the name of the group you would like to assign the user task.
Step 2: When assigning to participants for the task, instead of using the User and Group Browser, use the Context Browser and bring in the data field as the task group. Make sure that you set the User type to Group and not user.
Step 3: Deploy the Workflow to a new site collection with a group that has the same name as the old site collection. The group should get the task assigned to them.

Be the first to reply!