Skip to main content
Hi,

Can anyone please suggest what is the best way of organizing users in Active Directory. Should we use groups or Organizational Units.

Suppose I have a group for IT dept. This group has 100 users in it. To specify the manager for each member, i need to go each memeber and add the manager in the "Organization" tab. Suppose teh manager changes, so i have to go and change the manager for each 100 users. Is there any other best way to handle this. People who must eb using K2 for a while must have experience with this. Can anyone PLEASE advice what should I do.

Also if a user is assigned to two groups and have two different managers for those two groups. So if we use "Send to Manager" of the orginator which manager will get the request.

Waiting for ur help.

Thanx
N.
Hi nfaz,

It is almost always better to use OUs to organize users.
Groups can get messy when activities are assigned to them and the administration of groups can be difficult.

The problem you described about setting the Manager property was solved with Windows Server 2003.
In Windows Server 2003 Active Directory you can select multiple users and change the properties of these users simultaneously.
If you are not running any Windows Server 2003 Domain Controllers, you would be able to design a script to perform this on multiple objects.

Hope this helped!

Cheers,

JohanL