Set column to show who set a column to approved/rejected

Badge +8

In my list I have a column which is a choice column and can be set by the user to approved or rejected to show their decision. I want to record who made the decisions (amended the column) in another column. I have set up a variable which captures the look up of modified by and place an update item after the the column have been amended to approved/rejected.

This sometimes works but for other times I have seeing system account??

#Any ideas. This is a really important part as this will allow the managers to see who approved the items.

203306_pastedImage_1.png

I have set it up as a single line of text.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Michelle,

do you notice any difference in the way the item is update?  It's weird that SharePoint is storing the system account for a real use who is updating the item.

Have you added the "Modified By" field to your view so you can see who updated it?

I'm curious to see if SharePoint is not putting the right data in there, or the workflow is misbehaving.

Vadim

Badge +8

Hi Vadim

Thanks for ur response.

Here is how it is displayed: 203307_pastedImage_1.png

Just tried showing the modified and modified by columns on the view and they do say my name and the name columns are populating correctly as my name. I am going to send some more item through to test as this can be intermittent. 

Do you think its a simple as the modified column must be in the view?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Michelle,

no, having them in the view is not a requirement.

If the Modified By field is showing your name, but your field is showing SHAREPOINTsystem, then it sounds like the workflow isn't working correctly.  It's odd that it works sometimes though.

Could it be the use that the workflow is running as?  The workflow instance runs in the context of the user who caused the workflow to start.  Maybe it's a permissions things?  I'm grasping at straws here happy.png

Vadim

Badge +3

Hi Michelle,

Instead of list lookup try to set as below,

203310_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +8

Ok this seems to be working. There are columns to complete this way in the workflow. Sometimes I need to go back in the form and click save to populate the column. Sometimes a couple of saves is required. I am leaving enough time for the workflow to keep in sync. Also doing a refresh@ of the page a few minutes after completing the form does not populate the column.

Any ideas?

Vadim Tabakman‌ @ROHAN MHATRE

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I would say you do not see changes appearing since your workflow is already or still  running.

Note there can be running just one instance of a workflow on an item.

I'm not sure why you decided for this approval process. but due to reason mentioned above you might miss changes that happen quickly one after the other.

I would suggest to assign a approve/reject task to users instead of letting them edit list and the trying in a hard way to identify who and when made a change.

from task you would definitely know who responded the task and when.

Badge +8

Hi all

I have shorten the workflow and its now working ok. It catches up with the actions I take quickly,

Many thanks for all your help.