Skip to main content

We are in the process of implementing K2.Net 2003 Server on a virtual machine and was just concerned that any future settings to the VM environment may have an impact on the system key and ultimately the licence key.  Does anyone know the answers to the following questions:

1) What are the hardware/software changes that are taken into account when a system key is verified?

2) Have K2 made provisions for deploying K2.NET Server onto a Virtual Machine i.e. are there licence keys specific for VM environments?  I suppose it would be too much to hope that universal licence keys exist for such situations.

Any help appreciated.

-Damon  

Hi Damon,

Yes we actually work on VMs most of the time so you should not have to worry about it. The system key is created based on a combination of hardware serial numbers as well as the machine name (host name). In the case of a virtual machine, the hardware serials are all virtual so you are able to run the virtual machine on a different physical machine than the one where the VM was created or K2 was installed.

Hope that answers your questions,

Many thanks for your response.  Good to here that going the VM route is not quite the leap into the unknown that I thought. 

I have just been asked to clarify a couple of points by our systems team:

• Will any upgrades to the VMWare tools cause any problems with running K2.NET Server 2003 on a VM?
  • Apparantly, if a VM is taken offline for an extended period, a change of SID can ensue once connection back to the domain is made.  Is this a problem that has been encountered by anyone?
  • Although VMWare handles everything via it's abstraction layer, there is no direct VM -> Core/Processor mapping.  Does this mean that changes to the CPU necessitate the generation of a new system key?

Many thanks

--Damon

I haven't worked too much with VMWare addition version upgrades but I have worked a lot with VIrtual Server and VirtualPC addtion upgrades which should be similar.

So far I haven't encountered any license issues with updating the VM Additions.

The only time I recalled that the key changed was when I added an extra virtual disk to my configuration.