Skip to main content

Is there a way to use an IPC that does not belong to the current project in Visual Studio?

We have a process that we want to run at the end of all of our workflows and would like to use it as an IPC and run it that way.

I cannot figure out how to select the process in the context browser.

Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, yes you can! There is a slight trick to it, but very minor and easy enough to implement. K2 design clients have the concept of design time and runtime settings. For you to configure an IPC event in process, the design tool forces you to point to a local process. It does this because it needs to interrogate the process to discover what process datafields it has so that you can configure what is passed in or out. 

For design time, make a copy of your workflow and put it in the project so you can configure the IPC, but you can then configure the workflow with the real name of the workflow you want to run. You are only putting a copy of the workflow in your project to satisfy the need for design time values. Once it is configured, you could just delete the example workflow if you wanted as it won't be needed and you will want to ensure you don't deploy it again.

Hope that makes since. Feel free to ping me if you need me to clarify.

S.