Skip to main content

This is a design question - I have not yet implemented this. I have a small workflow (30kb) that calls a small UDA (35kb). I expect to have as many as 50,000 instances of the workflow spread over many lists throughout many sites and site collections.

So, I want to define the UDA at farm-level. When I go to analyze and then re-publish all those consuming workflows, will I experience any performance or timeout issues? Is there a way to recompile all the consuming workflows via a web service?

I'm on Workflow 2010 2.3.7.0.

Paul

HI Paul.

I have been using powershell to deploy UDAs. As it retains the GUID of the UDA referenced by the consuming workflows you wont need to republish those workflows at all.

More info can be found here The SharePoint Repair Joint: Automated publishing of Nintex Workflow User Defined Actions, with workflow references

The blog mentioned that it was tested for Nintex workflow 2013 3.0.6.0 (i have used it for higher version of 2013 workflow)  so you may need to test it for Nintex workflow 2010. Also you need to make a small change to target at the "farm" level rather than site collection.

If your UDA will be potentially used by a significant number of workflows i think its worth the effort to go the powershell way!

Regards,

Thomas