Skip to main content

Hello,

I am a newbie to Nintex and as we have just purchased this in our organisation, I wanted to check some best practises.

1] In a workflow, when there are multiple tasks can one of the tasks (if it gets rejected), the workflow be made to start all over again? I know it should be an easy one, but I could not redirect the "Reject" of the task back to the start of the workflow?

2] In an error condition is there a way to restart the same workflow from the same stage (after the error is corrected)? This would save the workflow to go all over the same people for approval when an error condition occurs?

Regards,

SN

Hello,

1)  Yes - you can do this if you put the logic inside of a state machine action.   Then you can use the change state action to redirect to whatever branch marks the "Start" of your workflow.

2) This is highly dependent on the type of error as well as the action that is involved.  If it is something like a webservice, you can catch the error, and then do the same as above with a state machine.  However, there are some errors that are just not recoverable from and thus, the workflow would have to be started again.  One approach to getting around this is to break your larger workflows up into smaller ones, and then use the start workflow action within your workflows to launch the child workflows.  Then, if one workflow were to error out, you could in theory run the smaller workflows as needed to finish out the process.   Lastly, you could also accomplish this by using maybe a state machine, and feeding in a parameter such as 1, 2, 3, and having it change state to whatever branch you want to begin with.  1, 2, or 3 could then be each its own branch of approvals and you could start up to whichever you wanted in this way.

Yes, I recommend a state machine as well. The first state of the state machine could be 'Start'.  So you have a Flexi-task. And the options are Approve and Rejected. Under rejected, you can use the action set State = 'Start'.

Hi,

Thanks very much for your response. Its a different way to look at creating workflows and managing flows through state mechanism. Nice insight. Much appreciated.

Shrini