Skip to main content

I've been debugging a problem I've been having with List Item Events. I had a simple workflow with only the List Item Event which added an item to a SharePoint list, which has two Date/Time columns. This kept erroring when I ran it. The error was that the meta data did not match and that a valid date/time wasn't being use. To populate the data I was using fixed values specified in the wizard.

I changed the fields to text and the List Item Event created a new item perfectly fine.

I then changed one of the fields back to date/time and use the 'Today's Date' option when specifying the value in the wizard. Again this worked and added a new item.

When I tried yesterday's date the workflow failed again. This is when I noticed that it is attempting to populate the list item with American dates (so 'Today's Date' works because it thinks 1st April is 4th Jan). Now this is where it gets a bit funny. When you assign a specific value in the wizard, on the 'Supply a value for' screen it will display an American date when you choose it from the calendar. But when you press OK the date is formatted for UK format. And then it seems the event changes that back to American again when it fires. Both the server I am developing from and the Blackpearl server are set to UK regional settings in Windows.

Any suggestions?

There is another problem with this wizard. If you try to enter the value for a multi-line text field (data type 'Note' in Blackpearl) it won't allow you to enter a single line of text. The wizard just displays the field blank when you have clicked OK. To get around this you have to enter multiple lines, and the wizard ignores the first line. However when you run the workflow it will enter all the lines into the list, as long as you entered more than a single line.