Skip to main content

Symptoms

There is some confusion at to what is supposed to happen when we "regenerate" K2 artifacts for lists/libraries. At the moment we do not what to do this, because it appears as if we will lose all customizations done on said views/forms.

Herewith the help articles in question...
Appit: "http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/K2Appit/UserGuide/current/default.htm_Build/Data/ChangesToSPListOrLibraryStructure.htm_tracksearch=Regenerate".

Blackpearl: "http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2forsharepoint/UserGuide/current/default.htm_Build/Data/ChangesToSPListOrLibraryStructure.htm_tracksearch=Changes to a SharePoint List or Document Library Structure".

What will happen when we do this?

Diagnoses

According to the documentation, all customizations that has been done on the views/forms will be wiped, but the docs seem in-correct.

Herewith what I saw when I played around with K2 artifact regeneration.
- I added "extra" controls (a "Hallo World!" button) and configured some rules ("OnClick" > "Show a message").
Those controls and rules stayed.
- I changed the control type of the "auto-generated" controls to something else. (Textbox to Memo, textbox to picker.)
Those controls reverted and their rules got deleted.
- I changed the HTML table and moved both the "custom" and "stock" controls around.
After regeneration, they were still on the same place.

It would appear, that all controls that were generated with the initial "appification" of the list/lib, will "revert" to their original "control type", and if there were rules bound to THOSE controls, they will be lost. But, all other customizations that were made will stick around.

Resolution

This ticket was sent to LABS and they confirmed that...
Originally, SharePoint artefacts (Views, forms and SmartObjects) were deleted and recreated. This has changed however in the 4.6.9 release to update the artefacts. We have logged a TFS item so that the Documentation team can update the pages mentioned above.

Be the first to reply!