Skip to main content

Hi,

I need to add around 1600 roles in K2 workspce and each role will having around 5-6 users.

So I need a suggestion whether we should keep the roles in K2 workspace or we should keep them in our custom database.

If you have any other approach, please share wth me.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Thanks & Regards

Ajay Gangwar

Currenty the only way to maintain Roles is through K2 Workspace; which simply displays a list in a tree view control.  Generally, when in need of manage 1600 of anything it is usually useful to provide some level of filtering/grouping in the UI.  With this in mind, IMO, you might consider creating an external application to manage these groupings.  You can still actually use K2 Roles and interact with them via the the K2 API, or you can write to an external database.  If you write to an external database, you can then wrap the database with a SmartObject so that these groupings are easily usable within Destination Rules in the workflows.

Dear Bob,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I have requirement something like below:-

Suppose there are 5 Roles for each of the building and we have around 1500 buildings(all roles are same across the buildings).

The workflow should be moved according to the locationID (each building is having a unique locationID) to the users of that location for a particular role.

So should I create the individual roles for all the 1500 buildings? or just to have the 5 roles and add the users to the roles and get the users from these roles according to location, but how would I know the location of users in a role as I can not add the locationID in K2 workspace?

Could you please let me know how to achieve this? Thanks a lot, in advance.

Thanks & Regards

Ajay Gangwat

Create five 5 roles. use 5 smart object methods to fetch the appropriate role members from custom db based on the locationid.(Correct me if i've misunderstood your requirement)

Hey Maxpirate

I don't think your suggestion would work with roles since I don't believe roles can accept dynamic filtering like passing in the locationID at runtime to the SmartObject method like you described (I would be happy if I was wrong on this but I haven't seen a way to do it).  Note you can hardcode in a filtering value when you first create the role but that wouldn't solve this problem since he'd be back to 1500 roles again.

However, instead of using a role you could still use your SmartObject List method type directly in the destination rule for the activity which would allow you to specify the locationID from a datafield or some other source. 

Hope this helps.

Tim