Skip to main content

I've had to update my K2 blackpearl / Smart forms installation, and during the installation I had to rename the database name used for K2.  In fact, I could not use the previous name (K2 setup continued to fail), and creating a different name seemed to be the only way to have a success install.

Afterwards, testing features, one item that was incorrect was K2 for Sharepoint.  When try to open the K2 Workflow section of Sharepoint of a library (K2 Designer for Sharepoint), an error states could not login to database.. listing the previous datbase.

I expected an easy fix, since this value obviously changed.  I re-ran the setup on the Sharepoint box and ensured to update the database name during setup wizard.  Test connection successful... all is well.

Except.. it didn't change anything?  Still getting error message from Sharepoint... Cannot open database requested.

Where is this configured?  Tryed to run setup again... ensuring 'again' to provide the correct new database name... same story.  The Sharepoint side of K2 still believes it needs to use the old database name?

Thoughts?

Noticed the error also includes the statement:

"Unable to load templates from the server."

Not sure exactly which templates it is looking for?

Scott

Hello scottgalinac,

I found some advice from an old customer about how you should go about renaming K2 Databases, which may help your issue. 

Here are the "high-level" steps to properly rename K2 Databases:

1. Backup the existing DBs

2. Use SQL to rename your K2 DBs

3. Run K2 Setup Manager, select Configure and progress to the Database Configuration page. You'll need to click "Change" for each database and supply the new database name. 

4. There will likely be connection strings leftover that need new DB names. With that, you might want to use the SMO Service Tester, Broker Management or perform direct DB manipulation to update the ocnnection strings for your Service Objects. Plus, you may need to modify configuration files on the K2 server(s). However, most (or potentially all) will be updated during the rerun of the Setup Manager.

Additionally, did you ever use the K2 for SharePoint Configuration Wizard? The documentation in the link may give you some ideas on how to fix your problem as well.

Good luck and I hope this helps even a tiny bit.

Regards,

Alyssa